U.S. and Nigerian forces launched additional strikes on Monday against Islamic State militants in Northeastern Nigeria, U.S. Africa Command announced Tuesday.
“The removal of these terrorists diminishes the group’s capacity to plan attacks that threaten the safety and security of the U.S. and our partners,” AFRICOM said in a statement.
It’s the third strike in five days for U.S. forces in coordination with their Nigerian counterparts, and the attacks have killed 175 of the fighters, the Nigerian military said Tuesday.
Military spokesperson Samaila Uba said in a statement that the strikes also destroyed weapons, checkpoints and financial networks of the militants across the northeastern region of the country, according to the Associated Press.
On Friday, an attack killed a senior Islamic State group leader and other top leaders of the terrorist group.
The operation targeted Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the director of global operations for ISIS along with other leaders, according to AFRICOM. Al-Minuki provided strategic guidance to the ISIS global network on media and financial operations as well as the development and manufacturing of weapons, explosives and drones, AFRICOM said. He also has a long history of planning attacks and directing hostage-taking operations, the command said.
On Sunday, the U.S. military carried out renewed strikes in coordination with the Nigerian government. AFRICOM released black-and-white overhead footage showing airstrikes targeting what appear to be several individuals riding bicycles.
Earlier this year, the U.S. dispatched around 200 troops to train Nigerian military forces battling Islamist militants.
The arrival of U.S. forces in Nigeria came after Christmas Day airstrikes ordered by Trump against Islamic extremists in the country.

The security situation in Nigeria, particularly in its northern region, has been in disarray for over a decade. Various Islamic militants, such as those linked to ISIS and others from the group Boko Haram, have long been active in that region.
Both Christians and Muslims have been targets of attacks by the extremists. The U.S. military has carried out a series strikes on Islamic State militants in Nigeria in recent days. (U.S. Africa Command)

1SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
Insecurity: No terrorist base in the Southwest – DHQ

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The military high command on Tuesday dismissed claims suggesting that terrorist groups have established a permanent operational base in the South-West region, following the recent abduction of pupils and staff members in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State. According to a statement made available to Defence Correspondents in Abuja by the…
Insecurity: You have right to defend yourselves, Bwala tells Nigerians

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas President Bola Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Policy Communication, Daniel Bwala, says Nigerians are constitutionally empowered to defend themselves against attackers, including in situations involving lethal threats, while assuring that the government is working to curb insecurity across the country. Bwala made the statement during an interview on Arise Television on Wednesday, while…
CBN retains monetary policy rate at 26.5%

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has voted to retain the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5% following its 305th meeting. The decision was reached at the latest MPC session, with 11 members in attendance. The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Olayemi Cardoso,…










