The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has tripled the financial incentive offered to undocumented migrants who voluntarily leave the United States, raising the so-called “exit bonus” from $1,000 to $3,000 under its self-deportation program.

Under the updated policy, migrants who register with the U.S. government and depart the country by the end of the calendar year will qualify for the payment.
DHS says eligible participants who leave by Dec. 31, 2025, will also receive free airfare to their home countries and have certain civil fines or penalties related to unlawful presence waived, provided they use the rebranded CBP Home app to self-deport.
The CBP Home smartphone application, modeled after the Biden administration’s CBP One platform, is now being used under the Trump administration to facilitate voluntary departures.
Migrants are instructed to signal their intent to leave through the app. DHS officials say that once eligibility is confirmed, participants will receive travel assistance and the $3,000 stipend after the government verifies they have exited the U.S.
In a statement to CBS News, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem warned that undocumented migrants who do not take advantage of the temporary incentive will be “found,” “arrested” and “never return” to the United States.
Originally created to schedule asylum appointments, the CBP One app has been overhauled as part of the Trump administration’s mass deportation agenda. It now operates within a voluntary departure framework, allowing migrants without lawful status to report and track their exit from the country.
DHS says the increased stipend is part of a holiday-season campaign designed to speed up removals while reducing costs to taxpayers. According to the agency, providing travel assistance is typically far cheaper than traditional enforcement methods. As of May 2025, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement estimated that the average cost to arrest, detain and remove an undocumented migrant stands at about $17,000.
As part of the self-deportation initiative, DHS says participants are deprioritized for ICE arrest and detention as long as they show “meaningful strides” toward leaving the U.S. However, officials have not released detailed guidance on how long that protection lasts or how compliance is measured.
While ICE and U.S. Customs and Border Protection arrests remain the most visible elements of the administration’s immigration crackdown, President Trump has also pushed policies aimed at encouraging families and unaccompanied children who entered the country without authorization to self-deport.
In October, the U.S. government announced plans to offer migrant teenagers a $2,500 stipend to voluntarily return to their home countries, CBS News previously reported.
DHS claims that since January 2025, about 1.9 million undocumented immigrants have “voluntarily self-deported,” with “tens of thousands” doing so through the CBP Home program. Those figures have not been independently verified by CBS News, and DHS has not publicly released detailed data showing how many migrants received government-funded travel or stipends compared to those who left on their own.
Internal government figures previously obtained by CBS News indicate that during the first six months of President Trump’s second term, nearly 150,000 people were deported, while about 13,000 were recorded as having self-deported.

1SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
2027: I’ll restore fuel subsidy if elected — Atiku

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), has promised to restore the petrol subsidy if he wins the 2027 presidential election. Atiku made the pledge during an interview on Wednesday while questioning the use of funds he said were saved following the removal of the subsidy. He said…
-
2027: Why I chose to run with Obi — Kwankwaso

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Former Kano State governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has explained his decision to run on the same presidential ticket with Peter Obi ahead of the 2027 general elections, saying their partnership is driven by the need for a different approach to governance. Kwankwaso, who is seeking the vice-presidential ticket alongside Obi on the platform…
-
Nigeria’s federal government moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas In Nigeria, where mental health issues remain largely stigmatised, the federal government has plans to decriminalise attempted suicides. Trying to take one’s life is currently punishable by up to one year in prison under the colonial-era Criminal Code, while the Penal Code provides for up to a year in jail, a fine,…





