A man who lost 44 years of his life has finally delivered on a promise he made a ‘racist’ cop the day he was sent to prison.
In 1976, Ronnie Long was arrested and charged for raping a white woman, Sarah Bost, with an all-white jury finding him guilty.
He was sentenced to life in prison, with no hope of release.
But in 2021, new evidence came to light that proved Ronnie, who was then 65-years-old, was in fact innocent.
After a long legal battle, Ronnie managed to finally clear his name, immediately taking the the city of Concord, North Carolina, to court.
And this week, it was revealed the 68-year-old had been awarded the second-largest wrongful conviction settlement ever.
Following a deal of $3m from the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, Concord agreed a payout of an additional $23m for Ronnie.
The victory also means Ronnie has finally been able to deliver on a promise he made a ‘racist’ police officer 50 years ago.
Speaking to LADbible, Ronnie said he always remembered what the ‘hillbilly Klan’ police officer said to him as he arrived at prison.
“It was early Saturday morning, about three or four o’clock in the morning, I’d been in court at about 12.30am that night,” he told us.
“A riot had broken out in the court room, people started fighting, and the judge said, ‘Lock that door, lock that door, get that man, I want that man in Raleigh (Central Prison) tonight’.
“That night, they had me in the station wagon and took me up the highway, flying.
“When I get to Central Prison, this is what this hillbilly Klan said to me, ‘Yo, n****r, look to your right. That’s Central Prison, that’s your home for the rest of your life. You think you’re tough? Well, they’re gonna show you what tough is behind them walls. You won’t be back’.”
But Ronnie had some words for him, too.
“This is what I told him, ‘If I come back, which I will, all I want you to do is be breathing, that’s all I want you to do. All I want is you to be breathing, I don’t care if you’re on a respirator or if you’re crippled and can’t see. I’m going to take everything you’ve got for what you’re doing to me right now,'” he recalled.
“He thought it was a joke, but I’m here. I don’t know if he’s alive today, I haven’t even tried to pursue him. But his name is going to show up as one of those defendants in those federal suits.
“So when I say, ‘I’m gonna be back and take everything you’ve got’, this s*** is real.”
Turns out he is a man of his word.
SOURCE: Ladbible
Click To Join MA WhatsApp Community
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
-
2027: I’ll restore fuel subsidy if elected — Atiku

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), has promised to restore the petrol subsidy if he wins the 2027 presidential election. Atiku made the pledge during an interview on Wednesday while questioning the use of funds he said were saved following the removal of the subsidy. He said…
-
2027: Why I chose to run with Obi — Kwankwaso

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Former Kano State governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has explained his decision to run on the same presidential ticket with Peter Obi ahead of the 2027 general elections, saying their partnership is driven by the need for a different approach to governance. Kwankwaso, who is seeking the vice-presidential ticket alongside Obi on the platform…
-
Nigeria’s federal government moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas In Nigeria, where mental health issues remain largely stigmatised, the federal government has plans to decriminalise attempted suicides. Trying to take one’s life is currently punishable by up to one year in prison under the colonial-era Criminal Code, while the Penal Code provides for up to a year in jail, a fine,…

