AHEAD of the 2023 general elections, former governor of Kano State Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso has confirmed that his party, the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), is holding talks with Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate Peter Obi on possible merger to form a mega party.
Kwankwaso is the presidential candidate of the NNPP.
Speaking on Saturday, he confirmed that the NNPP is considering the possibility of teaming up with the LP for the general elections.
“It is true we are in talks with Peter Obi and a committee is working to look into how to form a merger between us.
“Friends and family are up and doing talking about the merger arrangement,” The Niche quoted Kwankwaso as saying in an interview with the BBC Hausa Service.
“The merger is important because as you can see both the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) did not pick their running mates from the South-East,” Kwankwaso added.
Kwankwaso has a large following in the North, particularly the North-West while Obi, who recently defected from the PDP and joined the Labour Party, has endeared himself to youths in the South.
Kwankwaso is notable for setting up political alliances that wins elections.
In the build up to the 2015 elections, Kwankwaso was among the governors that worked for the ouster of former President Goodluck Jonathan when he joined others to form the New PDP, which later merged with the APC, contributing to President Muhammadu Buhari’s victory in the presidential poll⁰
- Police exhume Mohbad’s corpse, nurse arrested
- FULL TEXT: President Tinubu’s First Address At UN General Assembly
- Peter Obi files 51 Grounds of Appeal against the tribunal judgment at Supreme Court, Atiku Files 35
- “How Naira Marley drugs women, have s3x with them and threatens to kill them with Sam Larry” 4G Xbox narrates
- You’ve proved us wrong over Muslim-Muslim ticket — Northern Christians tell Tinubu
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email email@example.com