The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has reacted to reports that it breaks into suspects’ privacy, sometimes during arrests of occupants unclad during a barge in.
Wilson Uwajaren, the anti-graft agency’s spokesman, told The Punch Newspaper that the commission has observed that some of its targets use naked women as shields during raids, hence the operatives often move in nonetheless to prevent them from destroying evidence.
On Tuesday, witnesses told reporters that dozens of hotel guests were left traumatised after anti-graft agents breached their privacy in the early hours of the day at Parktonian Hotel in Lagos.
They informed that some guests were naked when the agents who claimed to be on a manhunt for suspected internet fraudsters broke in and prevented them from putting on their clothes before being interrogated.
“They broke into the hotel and threatened to shoot the receptionists and management if they didn’t immediately release the master access card to them,” a witness said. “So the hotel workers had to comply immediately.”
“They continued to search other rooms. They went away with about 13 occupants,” another witness said. “I was naked, and I had to beg them (for me) to put something on. I am actually hypertensive, but I put myself together because I am not a criminal in any way.”
However, defending the action which has been described as “illegal”, Mr Uwujaren explained that cybercrime suspects deploy ladies to fake nudity to distract operatives, so as to destroy incriminating evidence.
“But the commission observes a disturbing trend in which cybercrime suspects now employ kept ladies who feign nakedness as a decoy to distract operatives of the commission to enable them to destroy incriminating evidence before arrest,” explained Mr Uwujaren.
He claimed that the officers acted on verified intelligence targeted at suspected internet fraudsters in the hotel, just as he noted that 30 suspects were arrested.
According to him, 24 have been established to be involved in internet-related fraud.
Mr Uwujaren further stressed that “the operation was executed without incident as the facility had been under surveillance for weeks during which the commission was able to isolate the rooms where the suspects were lodged.
“Access to the rooms was seamless as the commission has a standard procedure for accessing such facilities without application of force or discomfort to guests. No guest of the hotel was molested.”
- Lagos, Abuja demolitions: Ohanaeze kicks
- Economic Downturn And The Blame Game
- Alleged money laundering: ‘We airlifted N1.219bn to Fayose for 2014 election’ – Obanikoro
- Pure falsehood – Fani-Kayode slams Oba of Benin, others over Lagos origin
- Oyedepo Issues Warning To Son After Establishing Own Ministry
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email email@example.com