UMUAHIA — Former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has faced widespread criticism for downplaying Nigeria’s growing insecurity during a visit to the country.

Johnson made the remarks last week while delivering a keynote address at the Imo State Economic Summit 2025, hosted by Governor Hope Uzodinma in Owerri. He stated, “I feel perfectly safe in Nigeria,” dismissing negative security reports that had preceded his trip.
The comment drew strong rebuke from the American Veterans of Igbo Descent (AVID), who described it as an insult to the victims of insecurity in Nigeria. In a statement signed by its President, Chief Sylvester Onyia, AVID challenged Johnson to travel across Nigeria without security escorts before making assertions about the country’s safety.
The group highlighted recent violent incidents to underscore the gravity of insecurity in Nigeria, including the abduction of 18 passengers on the Imo/Abia border less than 48 hours before Johnson’s Owerri visit. They also referenced an attack on the advance team of Abia State Governor Alex Otti while en route to Owerri airport.
AVID accused Johnson of “laundering Nigeria’s image” amid the ongoing killings and attacks, questioning whether the former British leader had been paid to make such statements. They also criticized him for contradicting travel warnings issued by the UK and for disregarding the United States’ intelligence reports confirming rising insecurity in Nigeria.
“If he feels safe in Nigeria as he claims, let him travel from Imo State to Borno State on land to see how secure he truly is,” AVID stated.
The group condemned the former PM for what they described as a mockery of the grief of victims of violence in Nigeria, noting that Britain has historically benefited from Nigeria’s resources while turning a blind eye to attacks on citizens.
AVID also criticized Governor Uzodinma, accusing him of using public funds to “shop for international image launderers” instead of addressing the security and welfare needs of Nigerians.
The veterans’ group concluded that Johnson’s comments were detrimental to Nigerians and called on citizens to reject any attempt by external actors to perpetuate colonial-era influence.
“Nigerians must rise up now and say enough is enough. Colonialists will no longer hold us down,” the statement read.

1SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
Tinubu allowed free, fair election that gave Adeleke Osun victory – Wike

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas ABUJA — Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike, has said Governor Ademola Adeleke won the August 15 Osun State governorship election because President Bola Tinubu allowed the poll to be free and fair. Wike, who spoke on Tuesday during an inspection tour of flood-affected areas in the FCT, dismissed…
-
2027: Tinubu, Obi, Atiku, others sign peace accord, vow issue-based campaigns

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas …Obi tells voters to reject violators at polls…Peace Committee warns against hate speech, violence, fake news …INEC: 2027 elections are “competitive job interviews” Presidential candidates and leaders of political parties ahead of the 2027 general elections have signed a National Peace Accord, pledging to conduct issue-based campaigns and reject violence, hate speech,…
-
FAAC: FG, states, LGs share N3.007trn July revenue

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) has approved the disbursement of a total of ₦3.007 trillion to the Federal Government, the 36 state governments and the 774 local government councils as revenue for July 2026. At a meeting held in Owerri, Imo State, FAAC said the Federal Government received a total of…







