
The Defence Headquarters on Friday said it had increased its air and ground surveillance in the Federal Capital Territory and its environs.
This is following the spate of kidnappings in the nation’s capital.
Over 15 persons have been abducted since the beginning of the year in the FCT.
In a statement on Friday, the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.Gen.Buba Edward, also said troops destroyed terrorist hideouts in Abuja, Niger, and Kaduna.
He assured the residents that the military in collaboration with other security agencies was making frantic efforts to tame the rising criminality in the FCT.
The statement read, “The armed forces are not unaware of the terrible impact of kidnappings on the families of those affected. Indeed, our hearts and thoughts go to their families and loved ones. We also recognises the fear that these kidnappings create among the citizenry, following recent events in the FCT.
“While troops probably don’t have all the answers as of now. Citizens should be rest assured that the armed forces are working relentlessly to address the hurtful situation. Additionally, troops are synergizing with other security services and stakeholders to investigate and gather more intelligence on these kidnapping gangs, particularly around the FCT.
Troops have prioritized the areas of these kidnappings and increased both ground and air surveillance over the areas. Technologies have also been deployed to more easily detect these kidnapping gangs in their hideouts and enclaves.
“Furthermore, troops increased the tempo of operations in order to find, degrade, and destroy the terrorists and cohorts wherever they were hiding. In the FCT and environs, some of the areas cleared by troops so far include Kawu, Gaba, Deidei, Kubwa Hills, and Ushafa in the FCT, Garam, Jibi, and back of Zuma Rock in Niger State, as well as Gidan Dogo and Kuyeri/Kuyeri Hills in Kaduna State. There have also been intensified night patrols in the Mpape, Kubwa, Lugbe, Pyakasa, Keti, Gbaupe, Gbaukuchi, and Airport Rd among others.”
He also said three top terrorist leaders were among the 43 terrorists killed in the operations conducted in the North East.
“In the North East, the air component of Operation HADIN KAI, on 10 January 2024, eliminated three top ISWAP terrorist commanders in Borno State. The three commanders identified as; Abou Maimuna, Abou Zahra, and Commander Saleh with their lieutenants in a canoe, were targeted and destroyed by the air strikes.
”Overall, the operations during the week resulted in 43 neutralized terrorists with 76 of them arrested. Troops also arrested 29 perpetrators of oil theft and rescued 27 kidnapped hostages. In the SS, troops denied oil theft of the estimated sum of N131,101,750.00 only.”
He promised that the military was mindful of the threat kidnapping gangs posed across the country, assuring that the military was reviewing its tactics to checkmate their activities.
Buba said, “The armed forces will always be mindful of the threat of kidnapping gangs and terrorists across the country. Accordingly, we will continually review our internal processes in order to deal with these threats both now and in the long term. The military is determined to give the situation the seriousness it deserves to create a safer environment for citizens.”
Click To Join MA WhatsApp Community
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
-
2027: I’ll restore fuel subsidy if elected — Atiku

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), has promised to restore the petrol subsidy if he wins the 2027 presidential election. Atiku made the pledge during an interview on Wednesday while questioning the use of funds he said were saved following the removal of the subsidy. He said…
-
2027: Why I chose to run with Obi — Kwankwaso

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Former Kano State governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has explained his decision to run on the same presidential ticket with Peter Obi ahead of the 2027 general elections, saying their partnership is driven by the need for a different approach to governance. Kwankwaso, who is seeking the vice-presidential ticket alongside Obi on the platform…
-
Nigeria’s federal government moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas In Nigeria, where mental health issues remain largely stigmatised, the federal government has plans to decriminalise attempted suicides. Trying to take one’s life is currently punishable by up to one year in prison under the colonial-era Criminal Code, while the Penal Code provides for up to a year in jail, a fine,…

