Former Minister of Science and Technology, Uche Nnaji, will remain in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) for an initial period of 14 days following his arrest over an alleged certificate forgery case.
POLITICS NIGERIA learned that the anti-graft agency secured a court-approved remand warrant to detain the former minister while investigations continue.
Sources familiar with the matter said the 14-day detention period will allow investigators to question Nnaji extensively over allegations surrounding forged academic and service certificates. The remand may also be extended if investigators require more time.
Nnaji was arrested on Wednesday at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport shortly after arriving in Abuja from Enugu on a chartered flight.
Security sources said operatives moved in immediately after his arrival and took him into custody before handing him over to the ICPC for further questioning.
The commission later confirmed the arrest in an official statement issued by its spokesperson, John Odey.
According to the statement, the arrest was carried out with support from operatives of the State Security Service.
“He was apprehended with the assistance of the State Security Services (SSS) and subsequently handed over to the ICPC for further investigation.
“Following the arrest, Mr Nnaji has been taken into custody at the ICPC headquarters in Abuja, where investigations are expected to continue,” he said.
“The commission assures the public that the matter will be pursued diligently in accordance with the law.”
The ICPC said Nnaji’s arrest followed an order issued by the Federal High Court in Abuja authorising his arrest and detention for investigation.
The agency had earlier approached the court after the former minister allegedly failed to honour several invitations for questioning.
Investigators are probing allegations that Nnaji submitted forged certificates during his ministerial screening in 2023.
The case centers on claims that the former minister presented a questionable degree certificate from University of Nigeria, Nsukka and an allegedly forged NYSC discharge certificate.
Both documents were reportedly submitted as part of official records during his screening and confirmation under the administration of Bola Tinubu.
The scandal gained national attention after reports emerged from a lengthy investigation that raised serious questions about the authenticity of the documents.
Earlier reports also revealed that the ICPC had launched efforts to track down the former minister after repeated invitations were ignored.
Despite the growing legal pressure, Nnaji had consistently denied wrongdoing and challenged moves to compel his arrest.
He also filed an appeal at the Court of Appeal in Abuja against the arrest order shortly after the court ruling.
Recall that POLITICS NIGERIA had earlier reported that a Federal High Court in Abuja ordered the arrest of Uche Nnaji to aid ongoing investigations into the alleged certificate forgery case.

1SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
Osun Decides: INEC Declares Adeleke As Winner

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Governor Adeleke polled 511,067 votes to emerge as the winner of the exercise. Governor Ademola Adeleke has been declared the winner of the Osun State governorship election, ending months of intense campaigns. The Returning Officer for the Osun governorship election, Joshua Ogunwole, who announced the results at the INEC Collation Centre in…
-
Davido Under Fire Over Decision Not to Support Any Presidential Candidate

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Nigerian Afrobeats singer, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has come under criticism from African Action Congress (AAC) presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, following the singer’s decision to withdraw his support for presidential candidates. Davido had on Saturday reportedly posted on X: “No more supporting any presidential candidate. Make we dey our dey.”…
-
Osun Poll: ‘No Victor, No Vanquished,’ Adeleke Extends Olive Branch To Co-Contestants

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Adeleke of the Accord Party defeated his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), to clinch a second term in office as the governor of the South-West State. Governor Ademola Adeleke has extended the olive branch to his opponents in the Osun governorship election, asking them to work with…







