The suspects include senior military officers, a police officer, and civilians allegedly involved in reconnaissance, funding, and propaganda operations.
Nigerian security agencies have reportedly wrapped up investigations into an alleged coup plot to violently topple President Bola Tinubu’s administration, identifying 40 suspects spanning the military, police, and civilian sectors.
The suspects include senior military officers, a police officer, and civilians allegedly involved in reconnaissance, funding, and propaganda operations.
Security sources as having identified 13 individuals apprehended by the State Security Service (SSS), including two military personnel (one retired), one police officer, and 10 civilians.
Sixteen military officers were arrested for direct participation, two civilians for reconnaissance, two for incitement to civil disobedience to justify the coup, and five others in connection with funding channels.
“One detained soldier escaped custody but was later rearrested by SSS operatives in Bauchi,” insiders told Premium Times.
The Defence Headquarters confirmed that the investigation had been concluded and forwarded to “appropriate superior authority in line with extant regulations.”
The military described the findings as identifying “several officers with allegations of plotting to overthrow the government,” calling such actions “inconsistent with the ethics, values and professional standards required of members of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.”
“At least 25 military officers and personnel are expected to face trial in connection with the coup attempt,” a source familiar with the investigation said.
An unspecified number of civilians remain in custody, under investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the SSS, for roles in financing, logistics, and coordination.
Investigators revealed that the plotters initially aimed to disrupt the handover of power from former President Muhammadu Buhari to President Tinubu on May 29, 2023. However, the plan stalled due to insufficient funds and logistical gaps.
The conspiracy was reportedly revived in 2025 after former Bayelsa Governor Timipre Sylva allegedly transferred nearly N1 billion to three bank accounts operated by a Bureau De Change operator, intelligence sources said.
Retired Major General Adamu, identified as a key figure, along with Sylva and three other suspects, remain at large. One fleeing suspect has been traced to South America, though details remain undisclosed for security reasons.
Presidential and Government Officials Targeted
Sources revealed that the alleged coup plotters had planned assassinations of President Tinubu, Vice President Kashim Shettima, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, and Speaker of the House, Tajudeen Abbas.
“They were waiting for a day when all of them would be in the country. Wherever they were, they would be assassinated,” one source told journalists.
Service Chiefs, commanders of the Guards Brigade, and other strategic figures were also reportedly targeted. Informants within the Presidential Villa were said to be monitoring the movements of the officials.
Investigators also disclosed that some officers were tasked with seizing strategic locations, including the Presidential Villa, Niger Barracks, the Armed Forces of Nigeria Complex, and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport.
Full List Of Suspects Includes high-ranking officers such as:
Brigadier General MA Sadiq (Army Headquarters Garrison), Colonel MA Ma’aji (Defence Space Administration) and Lieutenant Colonel S Bappah (525 Signal Regiment).
Other officers include Lieutenant Colonels AA Hayatu, P Dangnap, M Almakura, AA Jarma, SM Gana, alongside majors, captains, lieutenants, and non-commissioned officers.
Civilian suspects include Umoru Zekeri (Julius Berger Villa Electrician), Ali Isah (Villa ambulance driver), and Stanley Kingley Amandi (actor allegedly hired as a propagandist).
Details of six other suspects remain unclear as of press time, Naija News understands.
Below is the full list of the 40 suspects and their supposed units and addresses.
NAME – UNIT/ADDRESS
- MA Sadiq (Brigadier General) – Army Headquarters Garrison
- MA Ma’aji (Colonel) – Defence Space Administration
- S Bappah (Lt. Colonel) – 525 Signal Regiment
- AA Hayatu (Lt Colonel) – 130 Battalion Main, Ogoja, Cross River State
- P Dangnap (Lt Colonel) – 134 Special Force Battalion
- M Almakura (Lt Colonel) – 197 Special Force Battalion
- AA Jarma (Lt Colonel) – CO, 35 Battalion Katsina
- SM Gana (Lt Colonel) – 115 Task Force Battalion
- AD Dauda (Maj) – Armed Forces Command and Staff College Jaji
- JM GANAKS (Maj) – Armed Forces Command and Staff College Jaji
- AJ Ibrahim (Maj) – Army Headquarters’ Department of Policy and Plans
- MM Jiddah (Maj) – 26 Battalion
- MA Usman (Maj) – 35 Battalion
- D Yusuf (Maj) – Forward Operating Base Molai (AHQ SG)
- J Iliyasu (Maj) – 3 Division Garrison
- A Mohammed (Maj) – 63 Brigade Garrison
- DB Abdullahi (Lt Cdr) – Naval Base Abuja
- SB Adamu (Sqn Ldr) – National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC)
- NG Zuzu (Sqn Ldr) – Headquarters, Nigeria Air Force Camp
- G Binuga (Captain) – 1 NMF Brigade
- AA Yusuf (Captain) – Nigerian Army of the School of Finance and Administration (NASFA)
- Bello (Captain) – 82 Division Garrison
- SS Felix (Lt) – 81 Division Provost Group
- J Aminu (Lt) – Headquarters Directorate of Army Public Relations (DAPR)
- Nasiru Ibrahim – (WO) 82 Division Garrison
- Sanda Usman (Sgt) – 167 Special Force Battalion
- Mohammed Zubairu – (Sgt) 177 Guards Battalion
- Momoh Audu (Cpl) – 343 Artillery Regiment
- Ahmed Ibrahim (Inspector) – 24 Police Mobile Force, Presidential Villa
- EO Victor (Navy Capt/Rtd) – 3 Abraham Avenue off Odili Road, Port Harcourt
- Umoru Zekeri – Julius Berger, Villa Electrician
- Y Nasiru (LCpl) – 82 Division Garrison
- Sambo Danladi (LCpl) – 82 Division Garrison
- Abdul Abdullahi (SSgt) – 82 Division Garrison
- Ali Isah – Villa Ambulance Driver
- ML Mohammed (Capt) – 18 Battalion
- UI Yusuf (Wg Cdr) – International/Helicopter Flying School, Enugu
- IM Gana (Maj Gen Rtd) – No 34 A Army Estate, Kubwa, Abuja
- Stanley Kingley Amandi – Propagandist
- Goni Bukar

1SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The Federal Bureau of Investigation has asked a US court for permission to submit a confidential declaration explaining why it is withholding some records relating to allegations linking President Bola Tinubu to a drug-trafficking investigation. The FBI made the request in an application dated August 20 before the United States District Court…
-
2027: Adeleke, others part of emerging Tinubu ‘Rainbow Coalition’ – Wike

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has hinted at the emergence of a broader national political coalition to support President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s bid for re-election in 2027. He discloses that Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, belongs to the emerging alliance. Wike spoke yesterday in Abuja while inspecting ongoing projects in…
-
Nigerian-American Victoria Oluwakotanmi crowned Miss Grand USA 2026

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Nigerian-American beauty queen, Victoria Oluwakotanmi, has been named Miss Grand USA 2026, replacing Mekayla Li, whose title was withdrawn just over a week after she was crowned. The Miss Grand USA organisation announced Oluwakotanmi’s appointment in an official statement shared on social media on Friday, following the termination of Li’s reign. “With…







