Engineer Farouk Ahmed has resigned as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA), prompting President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to nominate a successor and seek Senate approval.

The development was announced in a State House press release on Wednesday, which also confirmed the resignation of Gbenga Komolafe as Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC).
Following the resignations, President Tinubu has asked the Senate to approve the nominations of Engineer Saidu Aliyu Mohammed as the new CEO of NMDPRA and Oritsemeyiwa Amanorisewo Eyesan as CEO of NUPRC.
The resignation comes a few days after Aliko Dangote, President of Dangote Industries Limited (DIL), accused Ahmed of misconduct.
Allegations of misconduct
Dangote, while speaking during a press conference on Sunday where he addressed concerns over fuel supply challenges and the state of petroleum infrastructure in the country, said Farouk was living beyond his means, claiming he spent $5 million on his children’s secondary education in Switzerland.
“I am not calling for his removal, but for a proper investigation,” Dangote said, adding, “He should be required to account for his actions and demonstrate that he has not compromised his position to the detriment of Nigerians.”
Dangote criticised the NMDPRA under Ahmed’s leadership for undermining local refining by continuing to issue import licences for petroleum products, despite the country’s growing refining capacity.
According to Dangote, these licences have kept Nigeria dependent on fuel imports and discouraged investment in local refining.
He claimed import licences covering roughly 7.5 billion litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) had been issued for the first quarter of 2026, even as local refiners struggle to operate profitably.
Dangote’s petition to ICPC
Dangote petitioned the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) against Ahmed over alleged corruption and financial impropriety.
The petition, dated December 16 and addressed to the ICPC Chairman, Musa Adamu Aliyu (SAN), calls for Farouk’s arrest, investigation, and prosecution for allegedly living far beyond his lawful means as a public servant.
According to the petition, Dangote accused the NMDPRA boss of spending a huge amount of money on the education of his four children in different schools in Switzerland over a six-year period, an amount he said could not be justified by Farouk’s earnings in public service.
The petition further alleged that Farouk Ahmed used the instrumentality of the NMDPRA to embezzle and divert public funds for personal gain and private interests, actions which Dangote said contributed to recent public protests and unrest in the downstream petroleum sector.
ICPC’s reaction
Following the petition, the ICPC announced it would investigate the corruption claims against Ahmed. The commission confirmed it received a formal petition from Dangote.
John Odey, the ICPC spokesman, said the commission would thoroughly examine the allegations.
Reacting via a statement, Odey said, “The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to confirm that it received a formal petition today Tuesday 16th December, 2025 from Alhaji Aliko Dangote through his lawyer.
“The petition is against the CEO of the NMDPRA, Alhaji Farouk Ahmed. The ICPC wishes to state that the petition will be duly investigated.”

1SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The Federal Bureau of Investigation has asked a US court for permission to submit a confidential declaration explaining why it is withholding some records relating to allegations linking President Bola Tinubu to a drug-trafficking investigation. The FBI made the request in an application dated August 20 before the United States District Court…
-
2027: Adeleke, others part of emerging Tinubu ‘Rainbow Coalition’ – Wike

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has hinted at the emergence of a broader national political coalition to support President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s bid for re-election in 2027. He discloses that Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, belongs to the emerging alliance. Wike spoke yesterday in Abuja while inspecting ongoing projects in…
-
Nigerian-American Victoria Oluwakotanmi crowned Miss Grand USA 2026

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Nigerian-American beauty queen, Victoria Oluwakotanmi, has been named Miss Grand USA 2026, replacing Mekayla Li, whose title was withdrawn just over a week after she was crowned. The Miss Grand USA organisation announced Oluwakotanmi’s appointment in an official statement shared on social media on Friday, following the termination of Li’s reign. “With…







