Tensions ran high on Thursday at the Federal High Court in Abuja as the long-running trial of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, resumed with a sharp rebuke from the presiding judge to the Federal Government, it was reliably gathered.
Frustrated by the prosecution’s sluggish pace and lack of preparedness, the judge did not mince words in warning the government’s legal team that the court would no longer tolerate unnecessary delays.
“You must pick six days within two weeks and present all your witnesses. If you fail to do so, I will strike out your case as weak,” the judge said firmly, prompting murmurs of approval and surprise from those in the packed courtroom.
The latest hearing began with the cross-examination of the prosecution’s second witness. But what was expected to be a pivotal session quickly unraveled, as the witness struggled to answer questions directly, often repeating “I don’t know” and offering contradictory statements. With mounting concerns over his credibility, the court discharged the witness.
Matters took a turn for the worse when the prosecution failed to produce its third witness. With visible displeasure, the court adjourned the matter to May 28 and 29, and further to June 6, 16, 18, and 19, 2025.
In a bid to move the trial forward, the judge urged the prosecution team, led by Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Adegboyega Awomolo, to trim down its long list of witnesses. “We cannot continue like this. Reduce your witnesses so this matter can end soon,” he said.
On the defense side, a formidable legal team led by former Attorney General of the Federation, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), came prepared. They presented video evidence to question the integrity of the charges against Kanu.
Among the clips shown in court was a controversial statement by Imo State Governor Hope Uzodimma. Though the governor had earlier accused IPOB of orchestrating violence in Orlu, the video showed him suggesting the violence may have been politically motivated. Another video featured DSS Director Oluwatosin Ajayi and retired General T.Y. Danjuma, both urging citizens to take up self-defense. The prosecution’s witness, however, declined to comment on these statements, saying it was not within his role to interpret them.
During a tense exchange, the defense pressed the witness on whether there was any direct evidence linking Kanu to criminal acts. The witness admitted he had never conducted any personal investigations on IPOB members and could not present any reports tying Kanu to violence.
In what appeared to be a further blow to the prosecution’s credibility, the witness also acknowledged that he had not responded to an official letter from the Attorney General’s office and had failed to provide any investigation report to the court.

1SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
2027: Adeleke, others part of emerging Tinubu ‘Rainbow Coalition’ – Wike

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has hinted at the emergence of a broader national political coalition to support President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s bid for re-election in 2027. He discloses that Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, belongs to the emerging alliance. Wike spoke yesterday in Abuja while inspecting ongoing projects in…
-
Nigerian-American Victoria Oluwakotanmi crowned Miss Grand USA 2026

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Nigerian-American beauty queen, Victoria Oluwakotanmi, has been named Miss Grand USA 2026, replacing Mekayla Li, whose title was withdrawn just over a week after she was crowned. The Miss Grand USA organisation announced Oluwakotanmi’s appointment in an official statement shared on social media on Friday, following the termination of Li’s reign. “With…
-
Tinubu Govt Withdraws Death Penalty Appeal Against IPOB Leader Kanu

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has withdrawn its cross-appeal seeking the death penalty against the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu. Kanu’s Special Counsel, Aloy Ejimakor, disclosed the development, saying the government had formally communicated its decision not to continue with the aspect of the…







