The claim gained traction on social media and online reports last week, prompting confusion about the future of the NYSC programme.

The Federal Government has debunked reports suggesting plans to extend the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program to two years.
The claim gained traction on social media and online reports last week, prompting confusion about the future of the NYSC programme.
Reacting to the reports, the Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, clarified during a convocation lecture at Lagos State University (LASU) on Tuesday that he was misquoted.
The minister explained that the idea he had suggested was the creation of a special teacher corps for graduates of National Colleges of Education, not an extension of the NYSC service year.
“Now, there was never a time that I said youth service should be extended to two years. I never said that,” he said.
The minister clarified that his proposal was aimed at addressing the shortage of teachers in rural areas. He suggested that a voluntary, optional teacher corps could be established under the NYSC to send teachers to underserved areas for two years.
“We are training many graduates from National Colleges of Education, but there aren’t enough jobs for them. This imbalance between supply and demand leads to challenges. Rural areas suffer from a lack of teachers in subjects like mathematics, science and English,” Alausa added.
The minister also revealed that the government is conducting an audit of teachers employed by Parent-Teacher Associations (PTAs) in unity schools and plans to integrate qualified PTA teachers into the federal civil service.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
Osun Decides: INEC Declares Adeleke As Winner

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Governor Adeleke polled 511,067 votes to emerge as the winner of the exercise. Governor Ademola Adeleke has been declared the winner of the Osun State governorship election, ending months of intense campaigns. The Returning Officer for the Osun governorship election, Joshua Ogunwole, who announced the results at the INEC Collation Centre in…
-
Davido Under Fire Over Decision Not to Support Any Presidential Candidate

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Nigerian Afrobeats singer, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has come under criticism from African Action Congress (AAC) presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, following the singer’s decision to withdraw his support for presidential candidates. Davido had on Saturday reportedly posted on X: “No more supporting any presidential candidate. Make we dey our dey.”…
-
Osun Poll: ‘No Victor, No Vanquished,’ Adeleke Extends Olive Branch To Co-Contestants

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Adeleke of the Accord Party defeated his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), to clinch a second term in office as the governor of the South-West State. Governor Ademola Adeleke has extended the olive branch to his opponents in the Osun governorship election, asking them to work with…







