TO ALL YORUBA SELF DETERMINATION GROUPS WORLDWIDE
UPDATE ON LEGAL AFFAIRS AS AT AUGUST 4, 2021
- CHIEF SUNDAY ADEYEMO IGBOHO MATTER IN BENIN REPUBLIC. We are happy that we succeeded in preventing his unlawful deportation to Nigeria by the Nigerian government. We still insist that the Rule of Law and due process must be followed. Pressure is being mounted on the Benin Republic government not to buckle under the overbearing and corrupting influence of Nigeria. We thank Yorubas worldwide for mounting daily pressure on the Benin Republic government to free the victim of State Terror without delay. Even though there is no formal Charge against him anywhere apart from the informal allegation for which he was remanded in Prison custody by the Court, there is a limit to the number of days he can be remanded under Benin law. Lawyers are busy taking some legal steps towards securing his release as soon as possible. His wife has been allowed visitation right to him.
- SUNDAY IGBOHO VS ATTORNEY GENERAL AND SSS AT THE HIGH COURT OF OYO STATE, IBADAN. Consequent upon the application ex-parte argued by Chief Yomi Aliyu SAN, the court granted order restraining the Federal Government of Nigeria, the SSS and all security agencies from arresting, detaining, harassing, molesting or blocking the accounts of Chief Sunday Igboho pending the determination of the substantive Suit. This is a major victory which guarantees that even of Chief Sunday Igboho enters Nigeria today, he cannot be arrested lawfully. The case has been adjourned for further hearing.
- CASE OF THE 12 PERSONS ABDUCTED FROM THE IBADAN HOUSE OF CHIEF SUNDAY IGBOHO ON JULY 1, 2021 AND DETAINED IN ABUJA SINCE THEN. After hearing argument on the application filed by Pelumi Olajengbesi Esq. the Court granted bail to all the detainees on terms. There is need to satisfy the conditions attached by the Court to the bail granted before they can be released from SSS custody.
- MATTER OF OBA OGBONI BAKARE DETAINED FROM THE LAGOS RALLY Oba Ogboni Bakare has also been granted bail by the Magistrates Court consequent upon the DPP advice which absolved him of the charge of the murder of the lady felled by police bullet at the Ojota rally on July 5.
- INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT: ACKNOWLEDGED RECEIPT OF COMPLAINT OF CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY (YORUBAS) LODGED AGAINST NAMED FUNCTIONARIES OF THE GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA BY A COALITION OF YORUBA SELF-DETERMINATION GROUPS. The complaint prepared by Attorney Omojola as acknowledged by the International Criminal Court is still undergoing processing. There is need for all groups in each Country to begin to mount pressure on their home governments to push for the official investigation of the complaints by the ICC prosecutor. This can be done by sending copies of the petition to their representatives.
PAYMENT OF LEGAL FEES
In view of our experience in the manner several groups engaged and paid other lawyers apart from those engaged with the approval of Professor Banji Akintoye for the Chief Sunday Igboho Benin Republic Intervention and pending the emergence of the imperative Central Coordinating Platform for the Yoruba Nation project, we strongly advise that payment of professional fees be routed through Professor Banji Akintoye to whom we have forwarded the recommended lawyers’ fees for proper coordination and accountability. This will enable us avoid lamentation by donors whose donations were not routed through the coordinated channel.
We urge that individual groups should refrain from payment of professional fees directly to lawyers contrary to the advice we have given. The Yoruba Nation project is a huge project which will require huge funds as we progress hence money should be conserved and not wasted in uncoordinated multiple payment to lawyers and other professionals for the same job. While we commend the zeal of all our groups to be counted among those who responded to the needs of the agitation for Yoruba Nation, we urge that resources be managed with wisdom.
OLASUPO OJO CO-ORDINATOR,
CLICK DOWNLOAD FOR YOUR COPY
- 2023: Chatham House Invites Peter Obi For Election Conversation
- Unity Schools Cut off Marks for 2022: What a Nation!!
- Omeife: First African Humanoid Robot Built and Completed in Nigeria.
- The Chatham House Charade
- WEEP NOT FOR TINUBU, BUT NIGERIA
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email email@example.com