by Ayo Ojo London England
I think that there’s a general consensus from the zoom meeting that:
1. The US Congress representative haven’t been fed with substantial truth by the Federal Government on Nigeria according to Congressioman Chris Smith who appeared to have done extensive work about human rights abuses in different parts of Nigeria.
2. Each State Governor that Congressman Chris Smith met with had given different but detailed accounts mire than information obtained from Federal Government of Nigeria.
3. Western world stakeholders and Press haven’t shown much interests in internal security crises in Nigeria
4. These crises are indeed beyond mere herder farmer clashes rather, terrorism with the possibility of degenerating to one of the largest humanitarian crises in the world with spillover effects to Europe and US.
5. Boko Haram, ISWAP, Fulani herdsmen are a major threats that can metamorphose to a caliphate in West and Central regions of Africa.
6. Enthusiasm from President Buhari’s government haven’t been matched with timely, relevant and decisive actions to eradicate the security and threats.
7. There’s now urgent need for sanctions against government officials and individuals purportedly supporting the breeding of terrorism and genocide in Nigeria if there are no concrete and committed plans to checkmate the security tensions.
8. Nigeria faces existential threats from its many complexities in its current socio-economic and political set up.
9. Nepotism and lopsided appointments are rife in current Federal structures.
10. Urgent need to create a Special Envoy as was the case with Northern Ireland and Darfur Region in Sudan. (My emphasis).
11. Rep Tom Souzzi is keen to strongly engage and work collaboratively with highly influential Senators and Congress members responsible for US foreign policy. He detailed his action plan towards the end of the video
As you can see from the above, there’s a general consensus that Nigeria is on edge if nothing is done to salvage fragile union.