The Senate President, therefore, urged the nominee to investigate the circumstances surrounding the reported withdrawal of soldiers.

Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, on Wednesday ruled out the possibility of the Defence Minister nominee, Christopher Musa, to ‘take a bow and go’ during his screening at the upper chamber.
He admitted that the Nigerian government is under pressure by the United States President, Donald Trump, to tackle the myriads of security challenges confronting the nation.
Akpabio, who presided over the screening exercise, said that the purpose of the session was to ask questions that would reassure Nigerians during a period of heightened insecurity.
The Senate President, therefore, urged the nominee to investigate the circumstances surrounding the reported withdrawal of soldiers from the Kebbi school where the recent abduction of schoolgirls took place.
“This is not the time for politics of ‘bow and go’. Even Donald Trump is on our neck. We’ve not asked him what his response will be to Donald Trump,” he said.
“A nominee for Minister of Defence, and you stand up and say he should take a bow and go, with so many questions on the mouth of Nigerians and over 200 children still in the bush and being tortured. Let’s give the man the opportunity to give Nigerians hope.”
Community Resilience
The former CDS underpinned the importance of building the capacity of local communities and adopting a whole-of-society approach that integrates technology, community participation, and coordinated security operations.
According to him, such measures are critical to effectively addressing and ending the recurring incidents of kidnapping.
The nominee also highlighted the need to improve accountability within the armed forces while calling for full cooperation and coordination among Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).
He said many agencies were not operating at full capacity and must harmonise their roles with one another and with neighbouring countries, given the transnational nature of terrorism.
He warned that Nigeria had more to lose if security institutions failed to work together, noting that terrorists often perceive the country as rich and therefore a prime target.
He reiterated the need for a zero-tolerance policy on terrorism and banditry, anchored on collaboration with local communities, since security is localised.
The nominee further pointed out that many existing laws remain obsolete and require urgent review.
He identified unregulated mining activities as a major source of funding for criminal groups and underscored the need for tighter monitoring supported by modern technology.
General Musa was nominated following the resignation of former Defence Minister Mohammed Badaru, who stepped down, citing ill health.
Musa had been widely expected to replace Badaru.
President Tinubu formally forwarded Musa’s name to the Senate in a letter transmitted to Akpabio on Tuesday.
This comes amid escalating security issues, including the abduction of 303 pupils and students from St. Mary’s Private Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools, Papiri, Niger State. Fifty of the abducted pupils reportedly escaped and have reunited with their families.
Most Rev. Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Niger State chapter, confirmed their return, saying, “As much as we receive the return of these 50 children that escaped with some sigh of relief, I urge you all to continue in your prayers for the rescue and safe return of the remaining victims.”
The update, signed by his media aide Daniel Atori, stated: “For the records, we now have 251 primary pupils, 14 secondary students and 12 teachers still with their abductors.”

1SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
2027: I’ll restore fuel subsidy if elected — Atiku

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), has promised to restore the petrol subsidy if he wins the 2027 presidential election. Atiku made the pledge during an interview on Wednesday while questioning the use of funds he said were saved following the removal of the subsidy. He said…
-
2027: Why I chose to run with Obi — Kwankwaso

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas Former Kano State governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has explained his decision to run on the same presidential ticket with Peter Obi ahead of the 2027 general elections, saying their partnership is driven by the need for a different approach to governance. Kwankwaso, who is seeking the vice-presidential ticket alongside Obi on the platform…
-
Nigeria’s federal government moves to decriminalise attempted suicide

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas In Nigeria, where mental health issues remain largely stigmatised, the federal government has plans to decriminalise attempted suicides. Trying to take one’s life is currently punishable by up to one year in prison under the colonial-era Criminal Code, while the Penal Code provides for up to a year in jail, a fine,…







