A newly surfaced document, titled “Report of the Advisory Committee for the Selection of Presidential Running Mate,” has contradicted former Vice President Atiku Abubakar’s claim regarding his choice of running mate for the 2023 presidential election.
The document, shared on social media by Lere Olayinka, Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media to FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, challenges Atiku’s claim that he selected former Delta State Governor Ifeanyi Okowa because he was the committee’s top choice.
Atiku, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), made the claim during an interview on Untold Stories with Adesuwa Giwa-Osagie last week, where he insisted that his decision was guided by party consultation and that he had no regrets about not choosing Wike.

In the interview, Atiku explained that he had learned from past mistakes and allowed the party to decide his running mate. He recounted how in 2019, after securing the PDP ticket, he consulted former President Olusegun Obasanjo on selecting a vice-presidential candidate.
“In 2019, when I won the ticket in Port Harcourt, I came back here and then went straight to Abeokuta to meet my boss, President Obasanjo, and told him, ‘Mr. President, I have got the ticket.’ So he asked me, he said, ‘Okay, from where is your running mate going to come from?’ I said, of course, it’s either South-east or South-west. He said, ‘No, leave South-west because I was there for eight years. Go to the South-east.’ I said, ‘Okay, sir.’”
Atiku recounted that Obasanjo initially suggested Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, now the Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO), and later Charles Soludo, but both were ruled out due to their lack of PDP membership. Ultimately, Peter Obi was chosen after party leaders, including Wike, endorsed the decision.
Following criticism that he had not consulted widely enough in 2019, Atiku said he allowed the PDP to set up a committee to recommend three candidates for his 2023 running mate. According to him, the committee listed Okowa as the first choice, Wike as the second, and former Akwa Ibom State Governor Udom Emmanuel as the third.
“So I picked number one,” Atiku stated, implying that Wike was not the preferred choice by the committee.
However, Olayinka’s leaked document tells a different story. The document shows Wike’s name listed as the first.
Olayinka criticized Atiku for allegedly distorting the truth, even during the holy month of Ramadan.
“How can a committee present the person who had two votes as the first choice over the person who had 13 votes?” he said.
“The committee set up by the PDP picked Wike as Atiku’s running mate, but for reasons best known to him, he settled for Okowa, who had only two votes from the committee members. That’s the truth Atiku should tell and stand with, not trying to colour his decision with falsehood,” he added.



SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
LATEST POSTS
-
Atiku tackles Obasanjo, says Arewa made him president

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has claimed that former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s victory in the 1999 presidential election was largely secured by votes from northern Nigeria. According to Tribune, Atiku made the assertion while speaking with journalists on Wednesday as the long-running disagreement between him and…
-
Nigeria: Tinubu Asks Finance Minister to Update Nigerians On Administration’s Progress

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has unveiled the Federal Government’s “Reforms Scorecard,” an initiative aimed at providing Nigerians with an account of the impact, costs and gains of the economic reforms introduced by his administration since 2023. The President said the scorecard would provide Nigerians with details of what the reforms had achieved,…
-
Tinubu directs EFCC cash recoveries to NELFUND

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) be transferred to the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) to strengthen the financing of the student loan scheme. The Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, disclosed this on Wednesday while briefing journalists at the State…







