
There had been controversy during the week after the Court of Appeal in Abuja affirmed the verdict of the Kano State governorship election petition tribunal which sacked Abba Yusuf, candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), as the governor.
Aformer president of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Olumide Akpata has called on the president of the Appeal Court, Monica Dongban-Mensem, to provide “cogent clarifications” on the “clerical error” in the Kano State governorship election judgement.
There had been controversy during the week after the Court of Appeal in Abuja affirmed the verdict of the Kano State governorship election petition tribunal which sacked Abba Yusuf, candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), as the governor.
However, the certified true copy of the judgment contained contradictory resolutions, with the judge ruling in favour of, and against the governor, at the same time.
Addressing the situation on Wednesday, Umar Bangari, chief registrar of the court of appeal, had said the purported discrepancy was a clerical error that did not affect the court’s final decision.
“What happened in the part of the judgment is just a mere clerical error that ought not to draw any issue. The court is empowered to correct such clerical error and would be done as appropriate,” he had said.
In a statement on Saturday, Akpata said during his time as NBA president, he had openly queried the manner in which potential justices of the Court of Appeal were being screened and had warned of the potentially negative and detrimental consequences.
The former NBA president said since the end of his tenure, he had at different times, revisited the issue of the sub-optimal recruitment process.
“It is for this reason that I urgently call on the PCA, My Lord, Hon. Justice Monica Dongban-Mensem, as the Head of the Nigerian Court of Appeal to provide, for the benefit of Nigerians and, indeed, the world, a hopefully cogent explanation and clarification of this quagmire,” the statement reads.
“It is the very least My Lord can and should do in the circumstances. It is imperative that His Lordship makes a categorical statement on this matter because the stakes are way too high and the current situation in the Judiciary (and indeed the country) too dire for the issue to be left in the hands of Registry officials.”
Click To Join MA WhatsApp Community
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER NOW
Support MATAZ ARISING’ journalism of integrity and credibility.
Good journalism ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
We ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
TEXT AD: To advertise here – Email ad@matazarising.com
-
Your children may be collecting NELFUND without telling you – Oyedele

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, has suggested that some students may have received funding from the Nigerian Education Loan Fund without their parents’ knowledge. Oyedele made the remark while responding to an audience member who said his three children in school had not received NELFUND…
-
Atiku tackles Obasanjo, says Arewa made him president

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas The presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has claimed that former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s victory in the 1999 presidential election was largely secured by votes from northern Nigeria. According to Tribune, Atiku made the assertion while speaking with journalists on Wednesday as the long-running disagreement between him and…
-
Nigeria: Tinubu Asks Finance Minister to Update Nigerians On Administration’s Progress

MaTaZ ArIsInGDallas, Texas President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has unveiled the Federal Government’s “Reforms Scorecard,” an initiative aimed at providing Nigerians with an account of the impact, costs and gains of the economic reforms introduced by his administration since 2023. The President said the scorecard would provide Nigerians with details of what the reforms had achieved,…

